Thursday, March 3, 2011

Coconut rice /Thengai sadam

TODAY  Day 1 # Blogger Marathon by Srivalli starts and im running with 11 other bloggers. My theme for this time is Seven days of rice. so here i starts with my first rice recipe which is my favourite.Coconut rice.... There r several ways of making it. This is simple and easy way.
Ingredients
Rice 1 cup
Grated coconut ½ cup
Slited  green chilli 2no
Mustard seeds 1tsp
Urad dhal 1tsp
Asafoetida powder 1tsp
Curry leaves few
Coconut oil for seasoning
Sugar ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Cashewnuts few (roasted in ghee)
Method
Cook 1 cup of rice with little salt and cool it.

Heat a pan, add coconut oil, splutter mustard seeds, urad dhal, asafetida ,green chilli & curry leaves. Add it to the rice.

With the same pan add little more oil and fry coconut with ½ tsp of sugar. 

Fry till the coconut changes its colour. Do not fry till dark brown. Add the coconut to the rice. Mix well.
At last add the cashew nut and check for salt. Mix well.
Serve with papad/ chips..

Check out the 11 bloggers doing the Marathon along with me..
Champa , Gayathri Anand , Gayathri Kumar, Monica, PadmaDharmaraj, PJ,Savitha,Smitha,Srivalli,Usha,Veena Aravind.

15 comments:

Srivalli said...

Coconut Rice was something that was prepared so frequently..but not almost stopped! Wish I could start back on it..your plate looks so tempting!

savitha ramesh said...

Hi Divya,
Welcome to blogging marathon.
Rice looks tempting and my fav too.
Glad to follow u.

Priti said...

Looks yum ...Im yet to venture on this

Gayathri Kumar said...

Thengai saadam is one of my fav rice. Looks so tempting..

Priya said...

My fav anytime, love with crushed papads yummm!

Champa said...

You beat me to this. I was planning on making it for one day. Looks good.

Archana said...

Hey I have not made this for ages now. Thanks for sharing!

Gayathri Anand said...

Happy to follow you and to join with u in blogging marathon ...Love this rice a lot ...

Usha said...

My grandma use to make it when we were little. Have not eaten it in along time... Your coconut rice looks great!

Harika's Kitchen said...

My fav one. wow....

Jay said...

yummy n tempting..
first time here...lovely space with interesting recipes..happy to follow u..:D
do stop by my blog sometime.
Tasty appetite

Smitha said...

yummy looking and flavorful rice.....If anyone is serving this...I will be there for sure :))
Smitha
Smitha's Spicy Flavors

Padma said...

Love coconut rice and this looks yummy. Happy to join with you with the same theme.
Padma
( http://padmasrecipes.blogspot.com )

PJ said...

I used to make this often earlier.Thanks for reminding :).Looks delicious with the papad on its side

Sin-A-Mon (Monika) said...

oh looks yummmm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...