Friday, April 15, 2011

Vatteppam/ Vattayappam/ IndianCooking Challenge for March

This is my first post for Indian cooking challenge by Sri Valli, and im very happy to participate in this challenge. I had a very nice experience while preparing it. While the People started posting surrutai poli , it was really interesting that so many people posting the same recipe in the same day , then I mailed Sri valli that I want to join the challenge, then she made me a part of ICC group.  When I came to know  the next post  for the month of March is Vatteappam I felt really happy, because this is very new to me and experiment  also for me. The original recipe owner is  Shn - Mish Mash. I prepared vettapam as idli also. It turned out good, I dint have much struggle when I was preparing this steamed cake.All the Kerala recipes are good especially sweets, love them,
                     Main part in preparing this is yeast and fermentation process, I used active yeast, I felt a yeasty smell while  cooking and eating. So next time when I do it I shall add ¼ tsp of active dry yeast.
                      I had nice experience and fun preparing a new recipe, waiting for the April challenge. Here is the steamed sweet cake recipe…
Ingredients
For grinding
Raw-rice (soaked Overnite)1 cup
Grated coconut1 cup
Cooked rice 2 tbsp
Water as required for grinding
Yeast
Instant dry yeast  ½ tsp
For Making Rice porridge
Coarse ground paste  2 tbsp
Water ½ to 1 cup
For Flavour
sugar ½ cup ( to taste)
Cardamom powder  1tbsp
Cashew nuts 1 tbsp
Raisins few     
Ghee for frying cashew nuts
Method
 Grind the soaked rice in an mixer or grinder, by adding water,Like we do in grinding idli batter. When it half ground just take the required quantity for making rice porridge, in the original recipe it was written as Thari kurukku, keep aside. Now add grated coconut .  Now add the cooked rice and grind well again. Switch of the grinder.
Now take a small bowl add ½ tsp of active yeast in 1/3 cup of water with little sugar. Keep aside.
Making of rice porridge.Take  a pan and add the 2tbsp of coarse ground rice and required amount of water . Boil well and keep stirring in low-medium flame till it is fully cooked and reaches the consistency of a thick paste and Switch off the stove and keep aside to cool.
When rice porridge is cool, add 4 tbsp of the porridge to the ground rice batter in grinder and run it for to blend it thoroughly with the batter. Now , add yeast mixture and blend well again.
Pour the entire batter to a steel bowl. And keep for fermenting  in a warm place for about 5 -8 hours or overnight.   When batter is fully fermented, add the given amount of sugar and mix .Now again let it ferment for another 1 ½ to 2 hours. (I kept it around 2 ½ hours)
Heat ghee in a small pan and roast cashew nuts till golden brown and add raisins too. Before steaming, add powdered cardamom, ghee roasted nuts and raisins to the batter. Mix thoroughly. 
I made Vettapam in three ways, I used idli plates and two stainless steel cups , one big and one small.
For steaming, heat some water in a Idli cooker; Grease the cups with some ghee or oil. Pour the batter and fill half of the bowl. When the cooker starts to steam, place a plate with holes in the cooker and on top of it, gently drop the bowl with batter and close the cooker ,let it steam cook for about 20 -30 minutes in medium heat.
After about 20 minutes, remove the bowl from the cooker . check whether the vettapam is cooked nicely by inserting a knife inside or fork and if it comes out clean then vettapam is cooked nicely. I used the idli plates which has holes, so used a steaming cloth. I steamed sweet idlis like a normal idlis.
Remove the cup from the cooker and keep it cool. Now run a knife by the side of the pan and gently separate the steamed cake/vatteppam/Vattayappam from the Bowl .  Shift the steamed sweet cake in a plate and cut into squares , and serve with tea/coffee.

Check out my Blogging Marathoners doing BM#4 hosted by Srivalli
Diabetes Diet/Management: PJ  
Kid Friendly Recipes: Suma, Priya Suresh, me
Seven Days of Soup:Ila, Smita P , Usha
Seven Days of Indian Bread: Monika,
Seven Days of Cakes:  Bhagyashri
30 Minutes Meals: Archana  
Seven days of Condiment: Kamalika, Srivalli

14 comments:

harini-jaya said...

It was fun and interesting too , right?

simply.food said...

Beautiful clicks.Looks delicious.
My 1st visit here following your blog.Do drop by simply.food some time.

Raji said...

Real challenge isn't it? I also had a great time preparing this. Looks so well.

Smitha said...

looks perfect and yumm!
Smitha
Smitha's Spicy Flavors

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looking vatteappam

savitha ramesh said...

delicious looking vettayappam.love the pictures.

Smita said...

totally new recipe to me... but coconut and rice combo sounds yumm!!

Usha said...

Vatteppam made in idli mould are very cute!

Priya said...

Soo spongy and great looking vattayappam, loved ur appams as idlies soo cute..

Harika's Kitchen said...

cute and lovely. Awesome.

Suma Gandlur said...

Same thing here. We felt yeasty too.

SravsCulinaryConcepts said...

very cute and wonderful !!

Sathya Sankar said...

Vattayappam looks perfect and yum!

www.appetitetreats.com

Srivalli said...

Glad that you enjoyed your first challenge..appams look cute

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...