Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Chow - Chow Dhal curry | Chow chow Paruppu kootu

Main side dish in Tamil cuisine will be kootu. Mostly kootu means mixture in Tamil. I used to love all kinds of kootu with various veggies. But chow chow is one of my favorite, when I saw this veggie in a super market. I was happy, because am  craving for making kootu which is my favorite.
                              My mom used to prepare many kinds of kootu with coconut, jeera and pepper ground to gether and it goes on. But this type is simple and she taught me this, it just took me around 20 min for preparing, I served it with hot pepper rasam and appalam. I have to thank my mom here, she made my little one also like this kootu, she have it with steamed rice, ghee and this curry. Here we got to the recipe.

Ingredients
Moong dhal – ½ cup
Chow chow – 2no (peel the skin and diced)
Turmeric powder – 1tsp
Rasam powder – 2tsp
Asafetida – ¼ tsp
Red chili – 5no
Curry leaves – few
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Urad dhal – ½ tsp
Oil / ghee – for seasoning
Salt to taste.
Method
Pressure cook the dhal and chow chow together with enough water and turmeric powder. Nicely mash well, and keep aside. 
In a pan heat oil and ghee for seasoning, splutter mustard seeds and urad dhal, add red chilli, asafetida and curry leaves. Then add the dhal mixture, salt and rasam powder with little water. Mix well. Keep in sim and allow it to boil. Switch off the flame and change the curry in to the serving bowl and serve hot. Easy to prepare and very tasty to eat.
Check out the Blogging Marathoners doing BM#5 along with me 

Curry in a hurry under 30 min: Aarthi, Divya, Jayashree, Kaveri, Pavani,
Seven Days of Indian Sweets:Gayathri, Priya Suresh,
Seven Days of Microwave Meals: Monika,
Seven Days of Regional Specials:Harini, Vaishali, Suma
Seven Days of Colorful Dishes Kid's Special: Kalyani
Summer Coolers: Jayasree, Kamalika, Srivalli

26 comments:

Kurinji said...

hmm yummy koottu.
Kurinjikathambam

Radhika said...

It happens to one of my favorite kootu for side dishes to rice. love the clicks divya.

Sunanda said...

I too prepare this but my version is bit different...yours look delicious.

Sunanda's Kitchen

Raji said...

This is a nice kootu Divya...I am too bored of eating regular kootu with ground coconut ..this comes as a welcome change with rasam powder.

Aarthi said...

lovely colour and excellent dish

vaishali sabnani said...

the dish looks great..love the clicks...but not aware of Chow chow!!
what else can be used to get the best taste?

kaveri said...

Healthy and tasty Kootu...we generally add coconut to any kind of kootu...will try your version

Jayashree said...

This mixed with ghee and hot rice is one tasty meal.

Priya said...

Dal curry with chow chow looks absolutely irresistible,thick and inviting, loving it..

Gayathri Kumar said...

Kootu looks great..

Hamaree Rasoi said...

kottu looks inviting...Lovely clicks

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Mom Chef said...

nice and yummy kootu! would ove to have chow chow everyday, but its isnt available very easily around where I live !

jayasree said...

Simple and delicious kootu. I can imagine how tasty it will be with hot rice and ghee. Simple yet very satisfying meal

Pavani said...

Kootu looks AWESOME.. I'ev made a chow chow curry too for the marathon, will be posting it soon.

harini-jaya said...

addition of rasam powder is surely very different.

Vardhini said...

Love this kootu. I also sometimes grind stuff and add to it. I have also added rasam powder to it. Tastes yummy right.

Vardhini
VardhinisKitchen

Premalatha Aravindhan said...

Yummy kuttu dear,luv it with rasam:)

jeyashrisuresh said...

very nice and yummy version of kootu Adding rasam powder sounds interesting

Authenticoriyafood said...

Too good!!! I love the chow-chow dal. I first tried the chow-chow when i moved to hyderabad...and loved it!!!

Reva said...

Kootu without coconut... I love this idea and it is very refreshing:)
Reva

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Delicious koottu....nice clicks...

Now Serving said...

WOW! love this kootu - standard stand by dish for us and we enjoy it every time :)

Suma Gandlur said...

A comfort meal.

SravsCulinaryConcepts said...

very delicious kootu !! addition of rasam powder sounds very nice idea !!

divya said...

Mouthwatering here, super delicious hal curry,yumm!

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Love it any time with kara kuzhambu or puli kuzhambu! Nice clicks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...