Monday, May 23, 2011

Ennai Kathirikkai Curry| Eggplant Curry in Gingerly oil | Version- 1

Today Blogger Marathon - 5 and im happy to run again with my co- bloggers i have chosen curry in a hurry topic and here is my1st day post and this is my favourite recipe Ennai kathirikkai .

                     
Eggplant / kathirrikai is one of the favorite vegetable for many people. Especially a curry with eggplant is delicious. My mom’s version of making ennai kathirikkai is different from this recipe. And I tried doing many kinds of ennai kathirikkai. A single recipe name has different Method of preparation. I can say this is my own version. Here first step is to prepare the masala powder for stuffing. And stuffing it in eggplant and cook it. then only curry preparation. Each and every person has their own preparation of this recipe. Mainly small tiny eggplant tastes really good for this curry.
I got bored up with the usual preparation of food at my place. I want to do something interesting and tasty . I prepared it day before yesterday and we enjoyed. Here is my 1st version of Ennai kathirikkai and I will be posting the second and third soon.

Ingredients
For making curry
Eggplant (small or medium)- 7 or 8 no
Tamarind juice – 1cup (little thick)
Kuzhambu milagai thool/ powder- 1 ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Shallots (chopped) – ½ cup
Tomato chopped – ¼ cup
Garlic – 3no (chopped)
Curry leaves few
Gingerly oil – ¼ cup
For making spice powder
Channa dhal – 2tbsp
Red chili (whole) – 8no
Dhania seeds – 2tbsp
Urad dhal – 1tbsp
Scrapped coconut – 2tsp
Ani seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Little salt
For seasoning
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Urad dhal- ½ tsp
Red chili – 2no
Method
For spice powder, heat oil in a pan and add all the given ingredients for spice powder. Fry it well till it turns golden brown and gives good aroma. Grind it in to coarse powder. Keep aside.
Wash brinjal well and remove the stem. Make X mark or criss cross cuts on the base of brinjal. Then  fill it with the spice powder fully.  Then heat gingerly oil in the pan and fry brinjal well till it is cooked or soft. Do not break the brinjal, strain oil well and keep aside.
In the same oil, splutter mustard seeds, urad dhal and red chili. Add curry leaves and shallots with garlic. Fry well till it becomes golden brown. Then add tomato fry well till oil leaves. Then add salt , kuzhambu powder and 1 tbsp of ground spice powder. Fry well and add tamarind juice. Allow to boil for some time and boil in sim for another 2 min. Add the fried brinjal pieces.
Boil for two more minutes and serve hot with steamed rice.
Check out the Blogging Marathoners doing BM#5 along with me   

Curry in a hurry under 30 min: Aarthi, me, Jayashree, Jayasree, Kaveri, Pavani,
Seven Days of Indian Sweets:GayathriPriya Suresh,
Seven Days of Microwave Meals:Monika,
Seven Days of Regional Specials:Cool Lassi(e), Harini,Vaishali ,Suma 
Seven Days of Colorful Dishes Kid's Special:Kalyani
Summer Coolers:Kamalika, Srivalli

26 comments:

kaveri said...

Curry looks awesome...loved the cute little brinjals floating in the gravy..

Radhika said...

The curry has turned out so well. Those cute looking brinjals floating makes my mouth water.

Kurinji said...

Mouthwatering recipe....
Kurinjikathambam

Aruna Manikandan said...

sounds new to me...
curry looks delicious and tempting dear...

Aarthi said...

looking awesome...

Priti said...

Looks delicious ..like the way u did the stuffing

Priya said...

Mouthwatering here...my fav curry anytime..

Sunanda said...

looks spicy and tempting, never tried using gingly oil..
Sunanda's Kitchen

Raji said...

Nice curry Divya..never made it using gingelly oil..and love the medley of spices.

Jayashree said...

Looks so tangy and tempting.....

Prathibha said...

Lovely curry..love 2 have it wid rice..looks yumm

Pavani said...

I'm a big eggplant lover and your curry looks absolutely delicious. Di you say you have more versions of the curry, you will see me hovering around your blog for recipes in the next few days. :-)

Sin-A-Mon (Monika) said...

looks awesome my hubby loves this one

harini-jaya said...

good one. But owing to allergies I tend to stay away from brinjal/eggplant :(

Reva said...

Lovely dish... aubergines are my favourite. The curry looks so delicious..
Reva

Chitra said...

love ennai katharikai...my version is little different will surely try this recipe..

jayasree said...

Absolutely mouthwatering pics...I also cook almost the same way, except for some ingredients. I liked the use of aniseeds in the masala.

Suma Gandlur said...

Mouthwatering recipe.

Usha said...

Awesome curry!

divya said...

Delicious and drool worthy..tempting me a lot.

SravsCulinaryConcepts said...

very delicious curry !! wonderful clicks !!

Lavanya Selvaraj said...

looks so delicious!

Gayathri Kumar said...

Droooling...

Vardhini said...

My favorite kuzhambu .. looks good Divya.

Vardhini
VardhinisKitchen

Kamalika said...

This is a different kind of brinjal curry .. bookmarked

Rosh said...

Wow! Mouthwatering!! Would love to have that with rotis :)


Chef Al dente New monthly series: Meal of the Month! Send in your entries for April now...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...